Kazan Diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church Kazan Diocese
  •  Home /

  • Raifa Monastery of the Mother of God

  • Holy Dormition Monastery of Sviyazhsk

  • St. John the Forerunner Monastery

  • Monastery of Kyzicus Martyrs

  • St. Makary Hermitage

  • Seven Lakes Hermitage of the Mother of God

  • Holy Dormition Convent on Zilant Hill

  • Yelabuga Convent of Kazan Icon of the Mother of God

  • Orthodox calendar


    SEARCH


    @Mail.ru

    MONASTERIES OF KAZAN DIOCESE:

    Raifa Monastery of the Mother of God

    The monastery, originally a coenobitic hermitage sanctified in the name of Reverend fathers tortured in Sinai and Raithu, was founded in 1613 by monk Filaret under Tsar Mikhail Feodorovitch. This monk Filaret came from Moscow, where he was a dweller of the Chudov Monastery. Living in that dwelling place, he turned out to be an eyewitness of the martyrdom... ()

    Holy Dormition Monastery of Sviyazhsk

     
    The town of Sviyazhsk (nowadays a village on the island with the same name situated at the mouth of the Sviyaga River) was founded in 1551 as a fortress and a military base of the Russian troops during the war with the Kazan khanate. In the 16th century Sviyazhsk was a big trading center, and in the second ... ()

    Convent of Kazan Icon of the Mother of God

    Convent of Kazan Icon of the Mother of God

    The history of the convent of Our Lady of Kazan is inseparably linked with find­ing, glorifying and honoring the mira­cle-working icon of Our Lady of Kazan in Russia. This icon is one of the most honored ones esteemed in Russian Church. Among the other icons of Our Lady, the Kazan image has the greatest number of miracle-working copies... ()

     St. John the Forerunner Monastery

    St. John the Forerunner Monastery

    The Monastery of St. John the Forerunner is situated in front of the Spasskaya (Savior) tower, which belongs to the Kazan Kremlin. The monastery was founded by St. Gury in about 1564-1568 as a dependency of the Sviyazhsk Monastery of the Mother of God and did not have till 1595 any hegumen... ()

     St. John the Forerunner Monastery

    Monastery of Kyzicus Martyrs

    The history of the monastery goes more than 300 years back. The plague epidemic raged through Russia in 1654-1655 in the city of Kazan and its vicinities, according to the commemoration list, 41698 persons died. The authorities and the clergy decided to bring into the city the miracle-working icon of the Mother of God of Smolensk... ()

    St. Makary Hermitage

    The church tradition refers the monasterys founding to the name of the famous Russian Saint Makary of Zheltiye Vody (Yellow Waters) and Uzhna. When Venerable Makary, released from the captivity by khan Ulu-Mukhammed (it happened in 1438 and is a real historic fact), was on his way to his native town of Kostroma... ()

    Seven Lakes Hermitage of the Mother of God

    The Hermitage was founded in the same way like many other monasteries did in Russia. In 1615 Schema-monk Evfimy who came from the city of Veliky Ustiug settled in a deserted place, which was visited only by the aboriginal pagan Cheremis tribes. Soon other monks and novices who heard much about the ascetic ... ()

    Holy Dormition Convent on Zilant Hill

    The cloister on the Zilant Hill was founded in Kazan in 1552. initially it was placed close to the common grave of Russian warriors, who died in the siege of Kazan. However, that spot was flooded every spring. In 1559, the monastery was removed to the Zilant Hill. Local pagan tribes believed that there was a flying dragon... ()

    Yelabuga Convent of Kazan Icon of the Mother of God

     
    The convent in Yelabuga city was founded in 1868 at the expense of a native merchant I.I. Stakheyev. The ensemble of the convent was erected according to the design of architect G.A. Bosse. The main temple in honor of the Kazan icon of the Mother of God was completed by 1868 ... ()

    KAZAN CHURCHES:

  •  

  • Site Map
  • To send a letter